Who are these strange fellows?

My photo
Manbench Industries; Purveyors of general mayhem since 1994, a blog to follow the crazed, possibly deranged projects and emotive musings, of an undergraduate engineer, and an apprentice organ builder who have always felt they were born in the wrong age. Follow us as we, re-write history, learn lost skills, discover strange new worlds, break things, rant at things, mend things, make new things and generally find ways of passing the day instead of doing "proper work" !

Saturday 16 March 2013

Bass-ically i finally got back to my own work!

Well its been a hectic past couple of weeks with "proper" workload so I haven't posted much, still today whilst playing my somewhat beaten up semi restored double bass, I decided I needed to get back on with its restoration. So I cut some pine strips to re make the missing (broken off) decorative beading on its edge. I also worked some glue into a body crack to stop further propagation.

I cut some pine to match the body thin enough to bend to the required curve, and glued them into place holding them down with a few dress makers pins, a useful asset for this sort of work. Once thats dry i'll slowly work the it back to a matching bead and it should look nice again!

The bass itself is probably about thirty years old, it was my teachers old school bass and has been through the wars! I recognise it'll never be a Stradivari example but a little work and it should be a charming example showing its war wounds but with an aged dignity.


The Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment