Who are these strange fellows?

My photo
Manbench Industries; Purveyors of general mayhem since 1994, a blog to follow the crazed, possibly deranged projects and emotive musings, of an undergraduate engineer, and an apprentice organ builder who have always felt they were born in the wrong age. Follow us as we, re-write history, learn lost skills, discover strange new worlds, break things, rant at things, mend things, make new things and generally find ways of passing the day instead of doing "proper work" !

Wednesday 5 December 2012

Three Wheeled Madness "A" Part I

Both of us have a three wheeled peddle powered vehicle in our possession. Mine happens to be the legendary Sinclair C5. This was donated to me around four years ago on the condition that I got it working - which I sort of half did - it works on pedal power as I still need to sort out the battery and wiring.

Anyway, after getting the C5 working on pedal power, I figured it would be a good idea to get it working for my Year 11 school prom entrance to be something different from the obligatory limousine entrance. To cut a long story short, after getting the C5 out of the workshop for testing a week or so before the prom, it seemed that however much I peddled the peddles, the wheels wouldn't turn. I traced this back to the splines engaging the drive from the axle to the wheel - these were made of a soft metal alloy (probably a zink alloy) and the splines on the axle are steel. Of course...the ones in the wheels had worn.

Without the facility to machine such fine splines in the axle easily, I went for the easy option - cleaning both sections thoroughly  assembling together, then filling the space with JB Weld - a fantastic American product that seems to be an epoxy resin with steel powder in it. After this, a hole was drilled through the hub of the wheel and a roll pin driven in to ensure transmission of drive. In the end, although a bit of a bodge, it turned out very successfully.


The Engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment